Monday, October 27, 2008

Rotini with Chicken Chunk Tomato Sauce

I love organic tomato products. I have some extended family members that think I'm crazy and that there is no difference between the $.99 store brand marinara sauce and a good organic pasta sauce. (Which is actually a big reason why my recipes, weight loss journey and other thoughts are posted over here separately from our regular family blog.) When I saw that our Publix had an unadvertised sale on Muir Glen tomato products and I had a handful of coupons for them, I stocked up yesterday at the store.

We had a spontaneous game-playing afternoon yesterday and while I did manage to get the groceries put away, the never-ending game of Disney Monopoly intruded on my menu planning time. So I threw together a pasta dish for dinner last night.

We only eat chicken maybe once a week because the Publix Greenwise chicken is pretty pricey. But for me it's worth the price to feed my family the best food possible. So I grabbed my newly purchased boneless, skinless chicken breasts, added them to a baking dish, covered them in the above can of tomatoes, covered that with aluminum foil loosely and baked it all for 45 minutes at 375 F. Towards the last few minutes, I boiled some water and added whole wheat rotini to the lightly salted water.

When the rotini was done, I drained it and plated it. Then I took two forks and shredded the chicken making the tomato sauce very thick. I added the sauce to the rotini and it was so delicious. Add a quick bag of steamed veggies and a couple of glasses of soy milk and voila...dinner is served!

3 comments:

Michelle M. said...

That sounds great. I try to buy as much organic and natural products as I can. It is hard, though, when they can cost twice as much. I always buy organic milk, and now that my little lady is drinking it as well, we are going through around $50 a month just on milk for the kids.. I am not quite sure how much longer we are going to be able to do that. I think organic milk is really important , though. So I am going to try to keep it up. Do you have any good tips for saving money on buying organic?

Meg said...

I love Muir Glen's Fire roasted tomatoes. Dinner sounds awesome!

SoggyToad said...

I love your food blog... what a trip. Just a few days ago I was marveling at the changes we've had in our diet since I met Heath. I'm going to blog about it later. Good for you to make some healthy changes and I am all ears for your fun and healthy recipes! Thanks for sharing.