This recipe is from a good friend of mine, Heather, up in Kodiak, Alaska. She gave me this recipe just a few weeks before Megan was born - so I've have this gem for over 4 years now. I make this soup all the time!! It comes in at 3 pts for 1 cup of soup.
10 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1 c. boiling water
1 1/2 c. finely chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin
1/3 c. water
28 oz of undrained canned tomatoes (I like the petite diced)
32 oz of undrained black beans
1. Cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water and set aside.
2. In pot, saute onions, garlic, and cayenne in the oil for about 5 min, stirring frequently.
3. Add cumin, 1/3 c. water and the juice from the tomatoes.
4. Squeeze tomatoes into the pot.5. Cover and bring to a boil.
6. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add black beans and their liquid and continue to simmer stirring occaisionally to prevent sticking.
8. Drain and chop sun-dried tomatoes.
9. Add to soup and cook for 5-10 minutes.
10. Puree half of the soup and return in to the pot.